<VV> Question about noises and stuff

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Wed Sep 27 07:52:20 EDT 2006

On Sep 26, 2006, at 8:41 PM, John Headley wrote:

> First, I have a rythmic noise that comes from the
> right rear wheel area.  FFFFFT FFFFT FFFT.  It goes
> with vehicle wheel speed, not with engine speed.
> Doesn't seem to change with application of brakes vs.
> not and doesn't seem to change with in gear vs. out of
> gear.  I plan to take off the drum and have a look,
> but is this something that could be u-joints?  When I
> had some help putting in a new engine from my DACC
> buddies, we used an "ultra" axle stub on that side
> during assembly.

Take the wheel covers off (if you have them) and take it for a drive
first.  Sometimes they are squeaky.  Most likely candidate is indeed a
u-joint.

> Second, my brake pedal falls while sitting still.  I
> haven't noticed a loss of performance while stopping,
> but when I sit, the pedal falls.  Fluid stays full.  I
> think this means M.C. rebuild time.  Is this true?  If
> so, I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who used the
> Clark's double master conversion kit.  If I'm getting
> into this, I'm going with a double M.C.

I've put a few in from the vendors, it's not particularly difficult.
The m/c bolts up, drill one hole for the second line, and carefully
bend the lines as needed to hook them up.  Don't forget to bench bleed
the m/c (I actually do this on the car before hooking the m/c up so I
don't have to carry it full of fluid).

--Bryan