<VV> Rear Hub Nut Torque

Ken Campbell deltainc at grm.net
Fri Sep 29 10:29:30 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Smitty Smith" <vairologist at verizon.net>
Subject: <VV> Rear Hub Nut Torque

> Smitty says:  OK guys lets all get on the same page here.  One guy is
talking about the axle yoke nut and the other is talking about wheel lug
nuts.  The Max Torque I can find for a 7/16 x 20 grade 8 bolt  (Wheel lug)
is 80 ft lbs.  Because of their tapered seat wheel lugs don't need that
much.  More like 55-60.  I can tell you this.  If a tapered seat lug nut is
tightened to 80 lbs your wife or daughter is not going to change that tire
and you may well break a lug wrench trying it yourself.
*****
Even worse, here in Farmers-ville most of the tire sales big-foot airwrench
kids put on all lug nuts at 90 ft lbs ... try that at midnight in a
rainstorm using a factory lug wrench by hand ....   I make it a point to
spend $40 and get a "snap-on" breaker bar ... 1/2 " drive and long socket to
fit lug nut .... set, along with a flashlight with long life cells.... in
each vehicle ...  If it's a heavy car anyway, most of mine have a light
smaller floor jack .. all my corvairs carry one in the front trunk ( maybe
handles better anyway ) ....

If your wife drives much alone, it would be worthwhile to walk around the
car and relieve the torque-up to maybe 50 ft lbs or so ... give her a
fighting chance if a flat would happen .

heh heh, in our big E150 long vans, we used to carry a big floor jack, my
wife has on a couple occasions had to pull that thing out and change a tire
along the interstate ... amazed her passengers... kinda proud of her ... did
I mention she also beats me at toy car racing?  also malibu racers, shooting
silhouettes, .... most everything come to think of it ....

reargards, ken campbell, low-torque kind of guy in Iowuh.