<VV> Question about Dale Advance/Retard Unit

Andy Clark slowboat at mindspring.com
Sun Apr 1 16:56:25 EDT 2007

Hi, Bob. Yes, I'm totally confused. I had previously read Ray Sedman's
treatise and agree with him regarding HOW one should set the static timing,
and what happens to that timing if you disconnect vs. leave connected the
vacuum line from the manifold while adjusting it. However, I'm totally blown
away by assertions of off-idle stumble that are said to occur if you don't
use either ported vacuum or a vacuum solenoid.

Never having had the problem, I don't know what to make of all the "hoorah"
surrounding this subject. The Cord moves off from a stop with vigor- no hint
of a stumble at all.

If it ain't broke, I ain't gonna fix it! <G> But I'd sure like to understand
the problem that others have apparently experienced.

Andy Clark
Camano Island, WA.
1966 140/4 Monza Sedan
1966 140/4 Yenko Clone