<VV> Longest Vair trip in a day

Steven J. Serenska corvair at serenska.com
Mon Apr 9 06:40:16 EDT 2007

JR:

>What is the longest distance YOU drove a Corvair in one day?  This would not
>include switching off drivers.  But, if you post that, you should say how
>many drivers shared the duties.
>
>Mine was to the Dallas convention from Glen Ellyn, IL.  920 miles in 15
>hours including stops.  No, I was NOT wearing diapers.

Wow, Corvair or no Corvair, that's a pretty impressive drive.  By my
fairly unscientific calculation:

     Total stop time for gas & food and accommodating your diaper-less
condition = 1 hour

     Total driving time = 15 hours - 1 hour stop time = 14 hours

     Average MPH = 65mph+

I make a twice-yearly 775-mile round-trip between York, Pa. and Bristol,
Rhode Island in a non-Corvair and find I have a hard time averaging 65
mph, even though I turn on the Passport and set the cruise control to
87mph.  I invariably get bogged down in NYC/Connecticut and completely
blow the trip average.  You must have been sailing and/or had a
wide-open interstate with minimal congestion.

My personal best in a Corvair was in the Spring of 2000, driving 550
miles from Toronto, Ontario to Bristol, Rhode Island.  The trip was the
second leg of a two-day 1000-mile drive from Northern Michigan that I
made with my then 7-year-old daughter.  I would have been dumb enough to
try it all in one day if we hadn't stopped to see a baseball game in
Toronto.  My daughter's trip journal can be seen at:
http://www.serenska.com/html/claire_s_corvair.cfm .

Steven "old enough to have known better, but did it anyway" Serenska

P.S. It's STILL too cold here to bring out the convertible (in the 20's
the past 7 nights)...