<VV> Kit cars, buggies, etc.

Clark Hartzel chartzel at comcast.net
Tue Apr 10 14:31:32 EDT 2007

There were at least three different manufacturers of rectangular/square
steel tube chassis mounting Corvair suspension and drive line components.  I
don't remember their names but I have two different ones under dune buggy
bodies here at my place. If you need pictures let me know.  These frames
used the dune buggy bodies for VW pans.  There were dozens of body
manufacturers back then.  One frame did not accept a Powerglide transmission
so I had to do some creative torch work and re-welding a brace to make it
work.  They were designed to use all the parts from a Corvair including the
pedals and master cylinders.  Most put the master cylinder under the floor
which I didn't like as the pedals swung down and were awkward to use.
Most VW pan conversions put Corvair engines on VW transaxles for simplicity.
You reverse rotated the engine before bolting it on.  There was a Hadley
Transvair kit that put the whole swing axle Corvair setup on VW torsion bar
rear axle plates.  I have a dune buggy here (Pete Koehler actually owns it)
if you need pictures of that.  There are still a few fiberglass body
manufacturers/sellers out there including Berrien Buggy in Michigan.
To my knowledge there are no current manufacturers making these frames or
adapter kits.  You have to find them used.  EBay is a good choice to find
used ones although most are rusted out junk laying in some farmers field!
Clark Hartzel