<VV> The 3 Greatest Corvair Improvements

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Apr 10 21:50:02 EDT 2007

In a message dated 4/10/2007 2:40:43 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
airvair at richnet.net writes:

Just  ask
the many attendees at the DACC Homecoming (where I ended up spending  all
Saturday scrounging up the parts, tools, and services, not to  mention
the teardown and reassembly time) if you want witnesses. You can  start
with Ken Hand. And don't ever call me a liar again.

I stand by  my original decision.

-Mark

Easy Mark - For hundreds, if not thousands of folks, the bearing gives
warning before failing, and after thousands, not hundreds of miles. Not for you?
Okay You had a bad bearing -  Shit happens. But your case is not a common
occurrence. For most folks, the original bearings often outlast the owners - or
at least their ownership of the car. And give verbal complaints long before
failure. For race cars, sometimes the bearings will start to rise up out of the
casting. You can really hear that happen! So I usually grind a flat on the
shaft  and setscrew with loctite through the housing. It only has to happen once
 to make you aware of it. Just like your occurrence. But I don't draw the
conclusion that the design is bad, or needs replacement. I just adapt.  But I
don't tell everyone it is a design flaw. It wasn't. As for the  failure on your
car, I think it was just bad luck.  -  Seth