Bigger stock wheels, was: <VV> RE: three biggest improvements (back on topic)

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Thu Apr 12 09:40:22 EDT 2007

I've always wished that the LM's would have had a 14" wheel upgrade
available. What with the current tire situation, had that been the case,
I doubt that you would (now) ever see a LM Corvair with 13's, even in
"factory stock" concours.

Also, look at what they did with the early wagons. They upgraded the EM
wagons with the next size tire, because of an expected increase in load
carrying. The LM's were maxed out with the 7.00-13, so a 14" wheel would
have been the next higher step. One can thus make a case that had there
been a LM wagon, they would have had 14" wheels as standard equipment.

But since that is not the case, I'm with you. I wish there was some kind
of ring insert that would allow a 13" cover to be used on a 14" steel
rim. IMHO the prettiest (standard) full wheel cover ever put on any
Corvair car was the '66 Corsa cover. And the '66-9 Monza cover is
second.

-Mark