<VV> April commuique

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Thu Apr 12 15:52:13 EDT 2007

Ned,
    Our local club in northern NJ (NJACE) sends out the  electronic version
of our monthly newsletter to our members that have high speed  Internet
connections (and computers) and sends mail hard copies to the  rest.  Why can't CORSA
do the same?  They could have lower yearly dues  to encourage receipt of the
electronic version.  Plus it would arrive much  faster than the postal version.
    As far as people without computers, a friend of  mine (age 75) refused
her kids' offer of a computer at Christmas time.   Instead, she bikes to the
local public library where she uses one of their  computers to access her email
on her free Yahoo account.  She prints out  any important messages (the first 5
pages are free) and if any computer problems  arise, she tells the librarian
as she's leaving the library.  So everyone  who can get to a modern library
has access to a computer and the Internet.   By the way, this lady had no prior
computer training  but now manages to access the Internet and read and respond
to her  email.  If she can do it at her age, what's holding back  others?
Most (if not all) public libraries have high speed  Internet connections.  In
fact, before I had my DSL connection at home, I  would take my laptop into the
library to download large files.  On  occasion, I've even gone to the library
when it was closed and accessed  their Internet connection OUTSIDE the door of
the library.  No break-in  required.<GGGG>
    Local schools are always offering adult courses on  simple computer use
suitable for learning how to access the Internet so there's  little excuse for
living exclusively in "the good ole days".
    Regards,
    Frank "old but not living in the past"  Burkhard

In a message dated 4/12/2007 3:13:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,