<VV> April commuique

Harry Jensen hljensen at comcast.net
Thu Apr 12 18:02:42 EDT 2007

Hi--

Can't you guys go back to arguing about tire sizes? <VBG>

Making a PDF version of the Communique is a piece of cake. We use Adobe's
InDesign to layout the Communique and a PDF version is uploaded to the
printer every month. The press version of the Communique is 35 MB this month.

Comparing the Communique to a chapter newsletter is not a good analogy. The
Communique is a minimum of 24 numbered pages, plus 4 pages of cover, plus 4
pages of overcover for a total of 32 pages. I have yet to see a 32 page
newsletter.

Mike and I routinely exchange PDF versions of lower resolutions during out
layout process, but at even the lowest resolutions, the Communique is about
a 2 MB download, not an insignificant download.

The cost to print the Communique can be generally divided into three
categories: layout and prep, prepress, and the actual press time, paper
costs, and mailing. Layout and prep is the costs paid to Mike and I to do
the layout work: turn Word docs and digital photos into a publishable
format. Prepress is the cost to change the PDF into printing plates and
setup on the presses. Press time, material cost, and mailing is
self-explanatory. The Communique is still printed the old fashioned way
with a printing press and metal plates. It is printed on Heidelberg
Presses. Two of those three costs will not change at all whether we print 1
or 5,001.

It is unlikely that there will ever be no printed Communique. Although many
of you talk about people going to the library, the fact is few people
without computers will do it. The members of VV are not representative of
the larger CORSA community. There are many, many people who do not have
e-mail access nor do they want e-mail access. Given that fact, it is also
unlikely that CORSA would save a huge amount of money by offering an online
version. So, without an economic reason for an online version, we are left
with the main reason for an online version is convenience.

Earlier this year we put the CORSA databases on the 'net. You can now
register for our site and the site verifies that indeed you are a member.
In my mind, that's a big first step, because now we know who is a member
and who is not. Without that verification, it would not possible to
distribute material like current printed classified ads, and yes, even the
Communique, because we could not verify that those receiving the content
were indeed members.

You should all understand that we are moving to put more content on our
site. We would want to make sure that the hardware we have can handle the
load and that the PDF version would not be misused.

That is not to say that next month, there will be an online Communique for
our members. There probably won't be. But it is to say that we are intent
upon adding content to our site which is useful to our members. That
content may be the Communique, may not be the Communique, but certainly
will be useful.

At 04:10 PM 4/12/2007, Tony I. wrote:
>   With all due respect, you CAN in fact, cut and paste with PDF.

You can, but you can also disable that ability when you make the PDF with
Adobe's security features built into to Acrobat Distiller. You can disallow
printing, copying and editing, changing of the PDF, etc....

Now, can I get back to work? About those tire sizes....

--H