front vs rear drive, was: <VV> Novas and Vairs

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Fri Apr 13 10:40:22 EDT 2007

I agree with Bill on this one.

My brother hated to see a Mini show up at certain autocrosses. He was
running a BMW 2002 and the Mini was put in his class. On a tight or
(especially) dirt or gravel track, the Mini was a holy terror. All the
driver had to do was floor it, and when he needed to turn, crank the
wheel with one hand and pull up on the handbrake with the other. They
could literally walk the inside front wheel around the rim of the cone.
With that ability, they often picked up FTD.

On the flip side, Ray Johnson wrote a great article once for the CCE's
Air Horn on his experience at one ice racing event. Seems they had time
for some fun runs, so he borrowed a friend's front driver (he'd been
running a rear driver.) Anyway, the harder he tried, the slower he got.
Came to the conclusion that some of us can adapt to front drive, others
like himself (and me also) can't. So he decided to just stick to rear
drivers. My conclusion, also.

In daily driving, I find that, for me, front drive absolutely requires
traction control. It's simply just too easy to break the drive wheels
loose, and as I've often pointed out, that means you lose steering
control as well. Not so with rear drive, as you still maintain some
semblence of steering control. Front drivers have pointed me more times
towards the ditch than all my other rear drivers put together, and most
of my driving has been with rear drivers. So for me, front drive
(without traction control) is an accident waiting to happen.

Besides, it's so much fun tossing a Corvair around a corner with a four
wheel drift power slide. Especially on snow covered streets. May scare
the hell out of granny, but it's a blast for me!

-Mark