<VV> Novas and Vairs

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Fri Apr 13 09:34:40 EDT 2007

To anyone who thinks FWD is dangerous or not fun to drive, may I remind
you of the tremendous success of the Mini Cooper S in numerous outright
rally wins against much more powerful (and more "sporting") competition?

FWD, like all other forms of driveline, has advantages and
disadvantages. It is the best configuration for low traction surfaces
(proven in any number of tests), it makes for forgiving handling
(natural tendancy to understeer, drop throttle corrections, etc),  and
makes for a convenient power unit for design and engineering purposes
(as does a similar power unit in rear engine RWD designs) with little
encroachment into the passenger space.

For all of its benefits, rear engine, RWD fails the "forgiving handling"
test. Even though the handling  limits may be higher (handling limits in
FWD are necessarily limited by the conditions already discussed) the
behavior at and after that limit is more suitable for a larger number of
drivers. Plus FWD gives you much more early information to slow down...
Only the advent of traction control and stability control (as well as
modern tire design which make the handling limits harder to reach in
normal driving) makes the return of RWD practical for the general
market. ABS also makes a significant improvement in the safety of FWD
handling...

So for the masses, I think FWD is the best solution, but outside of my
Minis, I try to avoid it for my own cars...

Bill