<VV> Corvair Heater

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 13 12:06:03 EDT 2007

B"H

Clark:  That sounds like an interesting idea.  Perhaps use a small cartidge circulator from a boiler (with a 12vdc-120vac inverter, assuming the circulator's draw of current is low) would handle the heat.

I haven't seen a filter that could be inserted in the air flow of the heater; perhaps that would make the heat less efficient but a good cabin filter might filter out some of the fumes.   Most new cars have these filters from the factory.  Anyone know of the possibility of using a filter?

My wife hates the smell of the interior, it does get pretty engine-smelling in there, especially with the windows closed.  But other than that I'll never get rid of my Vair for anything, if I don't have to!  After driving her for almost 6 months, I'm just as excited to get behind the wheel every day as I did when I first got her, if not more.  At least my wife, bless her, knows how important the car is to me and she puts up with the smell when she has to ride in the car without too much complaining, but I'd like to make it as appealing as I can.

Thanks everyone for responding.  The electric heater sounds like it's not technically a good option, although in Mark Ellis' and Dave Nevell's Fingertip Facts book, one car was described as having the electric heater.  Car probably is located in Florida or southern California or wherever, where heat is not really needed much...Bill Hershkowitz

------------

A friend of mine made a water heater for a Corvair.  He machined late model
smog engine exhaust manifolds to make the air passage a water passage.  He
plugged the vertical tube holes and tapped a hole in the front end so water
would enter the back, go thru the manifold and out the front.  The plumbing
then went to an oil cooler mounted under the dash.  An electric pump
circulated the water.  It worked fine at initial start up but once the
exhaust manifolds got really hot, the water turned to steam and the pump
cavitated.  He finally gave up on it but the idea was interesting.  No
smelly oil fumes!
Clark Hartzel