<VV> RE: installing a cam?

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Fri Apr 13 12:18:55 EDT 2007

<snip>
     I have been considering a moderate performance cam for a while now, ( I
want a little of a lopey idle) and was wondering how much work I would have
to do to install it.  I have no intention of a full rebuild... and want to
minimize disassembly.  Is there any shortcut for installing a cam or is
pretty much full disassembly?  <unsnip>

Yes, Ray, there is a HUGE shortcut - I'm surprised no one had mentioned
it... After you have stripped all the tin, top cover, oil pan, bell housing,
and rear accessory housing, then, remove the rod bolts for one side of the
engine and push the rods up into the cylinders.  Finally, just unbolt the
eight case bolts and oil pickup bolt, and split the cases.  Separate the
cases and install the new cam.  Make double extra sure that the cam is
properly aligned to the crank.  Word of caution - this is not a beginner
project.  This approach is simpler than the total disassembly approach, but
still pretty advanced for a self-described "non-mechanic". You'll want to
put in new lifters and you will still need to pull the valve covers to get
the valve train set into the new lifters and for final adjustment.
Craig Nicol