<VV> Rampy Info Search

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Sat Apr 14 13:22:55 EDT 2007

<snip>
> 1.  With rampsides versus Monza Verts, does Similar condition = similar
> value?  Or do rampsides typically go for more or less typically than an
> early turbo vert in the same shape?
>
> 2. What are some key points to review when buying?  Which areas are more apt
> to be problems than others?  "What to look for when buying"
>
> 3.  How do they handle versus the standard early Corvair cars?  Can you
> comfortably do long highway trips in them?
<snip>

I would think that any Rampy would be worth less than a same-year, same-condition turbo convertible.  That's just me.  Unfortunately, most Rampies I see are in fairly poor condition unless they've been fully restored and then they're usually not for sale.

Look for our old friend rust.  The ramp, tailgate, rockers and floors.  The ramps and tailgates are tough to find.  Sheet metal in general doesn't seem to be anywhere near as available as it is for cars.  Those trucks were used, abused and put away wet back in the day and what's left reflects it.

They handle unlike anything else in my opinion.  It's not bad, just very different.  They are kind of bouncy going over bumps too.  You sit on top of the steering wheels so you have to turn later than you're used to.  They're VERY maneuvarable like around parking lots and such.  The ramp is fantastic and very handy.  I don't know how they'd be on a long distance drive (I haven't taken our on one) but it might OK.  The cab is roomy for two people but there's not a lot of room for stuff.  You can keep it in the bed but then it's exposed.  You could get a bed cover for it though I guess.

We love our rusty old rampy, good luck!

mikeH