<VV> RE: installing a cam?

Andy Clark slowboat at mindspring.com
Sat Apr 14 14:18:43 EDT 2007

Hi, Bob. I do the same- 5-10lb torque increment, then turn.

While you have undoubtedly done many more engines than I have, I can only
report to you that it happened to me (once), and I have been sensitized to
the possibility of a repeat occurrence in the several engines I have built
since. As I mentioned, I expect some significant revs out of my race
engines, and even my street versions, so any anomaly upon assembly is cause
for concern. It's not like the "tight spot" was "tight", in the normal sense
of the word, it's that upon crank rotation I could detect a slightly
increased resistance to rotation in one spot. The book that was the "bible"
in those days even cautioned about it, so, not knowing better, I made a
mental note. Then when it happened to me a year or two later, it was one of
those "AHAH!" moments that has stuck with me ever since. I have not had a
repeat occurrence, however. Maybe that means something. I dunno.

The assembled experts herein seem to think that it's not a big deal. OK, but
I personally still keep an eye open for it on any engine I assemble. I
mentioned it only so that anyone who was interested could file the info away
for use in the future.

Regards
Andy Clark
Camano Island, WA.