<VV> April commuique

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Mon Apr 16 08:12:38 EDT 2007

I don't understand why, when the topic comes up as it habitually does,
all the geeks chime in and INSIST that the CC be converted to a
computer-distributed format. As pointed out in Hank's post, 1) not
EVERYone is online, 2) not EVERYone has highspeed available
(particularly at an affordable price), and 3) not EVERYone WANTS it in
that format, even if it was available.

As for myself, 1) yes, I'm obviously online, BUT 2) I don't have
highspeed, and not because I'm "frugal". I live so far out in the
electronic sticks that what highspeed there is is unaffordable (like
about DOUBLE the cost) and of very limited choices. And 3) any efforts I
could mount to print out an electronic publication would result in a
much inferior-quality printing to the current CC's glossy-page magazine
format. It is this last item that seals the coffin on the discussion, as
far as I'm concerned, because I WANT archive-quality publications. So
even if I WAS on highspeed, I'd STILL want the current printed edition.
I'm sure I'm not alone on this point.

As far as diminished returns goes, in printing over 90% of your costs
are in setup. It doesn't cost all that much more to run 5000 copies as
it does to run 500, so what's the point? The only way you really "save"
is in reduced mailing costs, which are about half the cost of publishing
and distributing the mag. So really, you'd have to cut mailings twice as
much as your target cost savings.

Also, membership entitles one to ALL the services offered. To "charge
extra" just because someone would want the printed edition is a slap in
the face to ALL members, because it's charging extra for a basic
service. Electronic distribution is an add-on, not a basic service,
because CORSA is NOT an internet club. GET OVER IT!

Finally, IF these noisy geeks really WANT their CC over the internet,
then why not offer them that, BUT with this stipulation: The publication
would ONLY be posted a month AFTER it was mailed. It would be an
electronic archive edition. That way, no "members only" protection would
be needed, and the geeks would have their precious electronic format.
LOL! But they'd STILL get a printed copy. Because, as I pointed out,
CORSA is NOT an internet club.

End of discussion, as far as I'm concerned!

-Mark