<VV> Electric Power- Chevy Volt - Latest News, No Corvair -at least not yet!

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Apr 17 14:26:24 EDT 2007

In a message dated 4/17/2007 10:50:32 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
ChiefTAM at aol.com writes:

Not  really versed in electric vehicles, but since this is a  legitimate
topic, I will reply and post a question I had on it when I  read the  article
on the
Rampside.

I know battery power and technology is the  issue with electric  vehicles.  I
personally love the looks of  the Chevy Volt, and would  consider one for a
second car, maybe main  vehicle with the exception of long  trips.  The car
may
not be  built because of the lack of development of  lith. ion batteries, or
something like that.

Latest on Chevy Volt:

Chevrolet is showing the “next iteration” of its  Chevrolet Volt concept at
the Shanghai _auto_
(http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070417/FREE/70416009/1065#)  show in China this week. Based on the  same E-Flex
architecture as the plug-in hybrid concept first revealed at the  Detroit show
in January, this version replaces the gasoline engine/ generator  with a
hydrogen fuel cell and uses a battery pack only half the size of that in  the
gas-hybrid model.

Chevy distributed concept drawings of this  fuel-cell version when it debuted
the Volt in Detroit. Larry Burns, GM vice  president of R&D and strategic
planning, repeated, in countering charges of  “greenwashing,” that the company
intends to produce such a _car_
(http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070417/FREE/70416009/1065#)  but cannot yet state when, since
development depends on advances in the production of lithium-ion battery  technology.
GM vice chairman Bob Lutz wrote recently on the corporate FastLane  blog that
GM is “100 percent committed to making this happen,” and corporate  execs are
telling us to watch for another step in the development of this E-Flex
architecture to be revealed at the Frankfurt show in Germany.

While the  original Volt was described as a series hybrid (in which the
engine is present  only to charge the batteries—all drive is electric), the
fuel-cell version  operates a little differently. After the battery pack’s 20-mile
range (half that  of the gas-hybrid model) is exhausted, the Volt’s fuel cell
not only can charge  the batteries but also can provide electricity directly to
the drive motors, one  for the front wheels and one “hub motor” in each rear
wheel. The Volt is still a  plug-in, so the batteries also can be charged off
the grid. Total range is 300  miles.

The Volt displayed in Shanghai employs GM’s fifth-generation fuel  cell (one
generation newer than the one in Equinox fuel-cell prototypes that  will hit
the road later this year), packed into the same space as an Ecotec
four-cylinder. Hydrogen is stored as a gas in a pair of 10,000-psi tanks that  occupy the
space formerly used for a gas tank and additional batteries for the  gasoline
model. Noting that BMW uses cryogenic liquid storage in its Hydrogen 7
model, Burns said the German firm is driven to do so by the need to store more
hydrogen onboard. “A fuel cell is twice as efficient as internal combustion, so
we don’t need liquid storage,” he said. Even BMW’s hyperinsulated tank, he
noted, is subject to losses as the liquid turns to gas, requiring release of
pressure from the tank to the atmosphere. There is no such loss when hydrogen
is  stored in its gaseous state.