<VV> Re:Brakes

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Tue Apr 17 21:01:18 EDT 2007

Andy Asked:

Speaking  of which....The dual MC conversions that are currently being sold
don't  come with the shuttle block (that's the big ugly hunk of steel with
all the  brake lines into and out of that sits next to the MC in a  factory
installation).
I vaguely recall this was discussed  somewhat on VV some time ago, but I
can't remember if we reached any  conclusions.

Anyway, the question is- if you install a MC without the  shuttle block and
there's a (for instance) wheel cylinder failure, Do you  get the benefit of
the dual MC still providing braking at the other end of  the car? Or do you
have to have the shuttle slide over to the (now)  unpressurized side of the
block in order to have 1/2 brake activation? In  other words, are we kidding
ourselves installing a dual MC without the  shuttle block?
Andy Clark
Craig Replies:
I the main function of the combination valve are to 1) Sense and report a
great difference in F/R pressure, and 2) Limit pressure on rear circuit.   3)
(some valves) delay application of pressure to the front (disc) brakes.

I'm pretty sure the MC output ports are isolated and generate pressure
independently.  If you don't need the reporting feature (we don't have a  light
anyway) and don't need to limit the rear pressure (we don't) and don't  need to
delay-time for a disc-drum combo (we don't), I think we are good to  go.  I'm
not even sure that some combination valves block off the failed  side - what
would be the point of that?  Perhaps the combination of a  failed MC that
doesn't isolate outputs and a lost F/R circuit?
Craig Nicol