<VV> What a happy sound!

Mike Jacobi mvjacobi at comcast.net
Wed Apr 18 00:02:50 EDT 2007

Well, the Vair hasn't been cranked up for over two months.  And no stabil in
the tank the whole time!  (Health problems etc.)  So I kind of dreaded
trying to start her up, figuring that the gas lines or the carb would be
full of varnish and like gunk.  Fortunately the battery tender did get
hooked up and the battery was ready to go...so a few pumps of the pedal and
crank....cfranK....crank....

No Joy!!

Put some fresh gas in a spray bottle and shot it into the carb....waited 30
seconds and crank...and ROAR!  And that beautiful clattery air cooled engine
kept on roaring.  I jumped in and drove til the nearly full tank was three
quarters empty and filled up with fresh gas...and finally put it back in the
garage and walked away happy.

Man these Vairs are forgiving of stupid mistakes.  I guess that's why
they're so easy to become addictions.

I wanted to ask though, I've read that the turbo vairs run best when the
turbo is well insulated.  I have what looks like a piece of tinfoil around
the exhaust pipe out of the turbo.  But I have not noted other turbo cars so
insulated.  Is it your impression that extra insulation isn't that big a
deal?  Its pretty ugly but if it's worth having there, I guess I'll keep it
in place.

Mike Jacobi