Trashing Corvairs, was: <VV> Show us your Vairs!!! FUN!!

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Wed Apr 18 18:14:10 EDT 2007

At 08:09 AM 4/18/2007, airvair wrote:
>I think the worst example of a "gen-u-ine rednek (as Tony defines him)
>story" I ever saw involves a really nice '63 700 4door that the local
>librarian sold. At the time, it was 9 years old w/26,000 miles on it.
>Concours perfect except for a small dent in the right side eyebrow where
>she had bumped a parking meter, and a metal flaw rust spot in the door
>jamb seam just behind the left rear door handle that was about a half
>inch long. Perfect '63 rear grille, too.
>
>I didn't have any money at the time, so she sold it for $300 to a local
>yahoo, who gave it to his daughter to drive to high school. Within a
>year the car was trash, and the first thing that had gotten ripped up
>was that PERFECT '63 rear grille. Especially nowadays, it would be
>enough to bring a concours person to tears.....

...brings to mind the PERFECT body '63 4-door Monza (honest to
goodness 900) sedan, originally white w/red interior, absolutely rust
free and not a ding anywhere, recent red repaint by Earl S because PO
hadn't liked white, which was still good if the peeled off cheap
enamel that was later removed to display bright shiny white
underneath is any evidence...

My bud Dallas Mangus got the car from the PO, then Dallas had a money
thing come up so he sold the car to an acquaintance of mine for a
pretty cheap (damned cheap) price, assuming that the associate was
gonna do something with the car, which even with the botchy red
repaint was still obviously an excellent car.

If I've told this story before, forgive me...

Long story short:

Associate stripped the sedan and then CUT IT UP with his new recip
saw to see how well the saw worked.    He wanted the stuff off the
sedan to fix the rather rusty and scuffed scratched up '63 Monza
coupe he thought highly of for some reason.

I came by, saw the 4-door with chunks of it lying in the driveway...
almost freaked.   I couldn't believe it.

That car had a Perfect body.   Absolutely perfect, had been garaged
kept all its life, Dallas bought it when the PO became too feeble and
disabled to drive anymore...  and the MORON associate ruined it as a
test for his reciprocating saw after stripping piles of stuff off it
most of which wouldn't fit the coupe anyway....   not even the
PERFECT red front Monza bench seat...  in fact, the only thing that
actually got saved was the driveline.    I ended up with it, and the
black '63 coupe as well after the associate got bored with the whole
project.

Frankly I wish I'd been able to snag that 4-door before the cretin
cut it up.    I still get pissed when I think about it.    With a
good paint job and a cleanup, the car could have been near show quality.

Heaven save us from nitwits who care not for that which others hold
in high esteem.

tony..