<VV> Unfair Postal Rate Hikes?

Harry Jensen, CORSA Executive Secretary corsa at corvair.org
Wed Apr 18 15:50:02 EDT 2007

Hello--

Steve Oxford kindly posted this note to Mike and I. Visit the site. Read
what they have to say about rate increases for periodical class mail.

Here's what I can see. Quoting from Decision of the Governors of the United
States Postal Service on the Opinion and Recommended Decision of the Postal
Regulatory Commission on Changes in Postal Rates and Fees, Docket No.
R2006-1 published March 19, 2007:

>For the Outside County subclass, the Commission recommends rates resulting
>in an average increase of 11.7 percent and a cost coverage of 100.2
>percent. While the percentage increase is the same as the Postal Service
>proposed, the recommended rate structure differs quite substantially from
>what the Postal Service proposed.  The Postal Service proposed rates based
>on pieces, pounds, and containers.  The Commission instead recommends a
>rate structure proposed by Time Warner, Inc, under which rates apply to
>pieces and pounds, as today, but also to bundles, sacks, and pallets.  The
>piece rates would vary based on machinability; and the bundle, sack, and
>pallet rates would vary based on the type of entry facility.  As a result,
>the recommended rate structure is much more complex than the one proposed
>by the Postal Service.

Let me put the rate increase in perspective: Currently CORSA pays about 30
cents to mail the Communique to you. The per piece price will increase to
about 33 to 36 cents. But that's not all.

As part of the preparation to mail periodical class, your magazines are
presorted, bundled, put into postal sacks, and finally on a pallet. We use
about 130-140 mail sacks per issue, each of which contains about 6 bundles.
The proposed increase will add new charges for bundles (about 4 cents),
sacks (about $1.90), and pallets (about $22.00).

If we prepare the Communique to mail using the new rates, the 'ballpark'
cost will be cost to $1900 versus the $1400 we spend per issue now. Act
now. The deadline for comments is April 23.

--H