<VV> Real Corvair Stuff -- part 2

tim mahler flat6vair at insightbb.com
Wed Apr 18 19:21:05 EDT 2007

I'm always trying to one-up Ned.

Saturday -- in the rain and cold,  I took the 64 convertible to the club
meeting 20 miles away.  Nice drive, except the header leaks.  Dang.   I may
need to fix that,  but the top is usually down, not up.

Better yet,  On Sunday,  I got up at 5am so I could be on the road by 6 to
attend an autocross test and tune in Rantoul -- about 100 miles away.  I
left so early so i could attend a SSS class before the test and tune.  I
drove my 68 Fitch Sprint coupe, radio delete,  listened to the sound of the
motor (and wind noise).  It was a nice cool sunny day.
A nice leisurely 2 hour drive to site.  The heater worked fine, no strange
odors (thanks to Kevin Willson of Alaska for his fine work on the car).
Changed tires to autocross stickies, and enjoyed 6 1 minute runs on a nice
long course with a good mix of technical turns and fast corners.  I would
have ran 2 more but the E was getting bigger and bigger,  and I was sloshing
a lot of fuel out the vented gas cap -- I need to check that to make sure it
is not excessive before running the car again.
After my runs,  I changed tires back to my street tires,  helped clean up
the course, and enjoyed another 2 hour leisurely drive home.

The event was also a mini car show as 2 jaguar e types were present, a 68
spectating and the 69 running plus a 70s triumph and a MG from teh same
period -- yes a british invasion from the brit car club -- from
Springfield -- my home town.  I followed them home for a while.  But soon
passed as the trailered cars (the Jags were being driven)  were running slow
(per illinois speed limits for trailers, 10mph less then cars)

tim mahler
62,68 Fitch Sprints