<VV> Corvair powered 1970 911 Targa w/110hp & powerglide on ebay

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Wed Apr 18 22:38:06 EDT 2007

At 06:10 AM 4/17/2007, airvair wrote:
>Interesting idea to put a Corvair engine in a 911.

If things go right, maybe with some luck I'll be finding out this summer.

>The only hitch is
>that the Corvair engine turns the opposite direction to the 911, so that
>a Corvair engine mated to a 911 trans would have to be rebuilt so that
>the engine would run "backwards." It's been done, but I can't remember
>when I last saw a source for the necessary Corvair parts.

Simple...  drop by Kennedy Engineering and pick up an
adaptor.    They make 'em to put all sorts of engines into Porsches,
INCLUDING...

(wait for it)

...Subarus.

Of course, the 'Vair would need a reverse-rotation cam.   The other
way is to locate axle flange adaptors (got 'em) and fabricate mounts
for the transmission ((that too) and simply use the whole 'Vair
driveline.   It WILL fit.

You'll have to replace the Porsche shifter with a modified 'Vair
shifter...  but that's still cheaper and easier than having to deal
with all the other things necessary to put a reversed 'Vair engine
with adaptor up against the Porsche gearbox.

...at least *I* think so.

>The other alternative, as this car shows, is to simply transplant the
>entire driveline of the Corvair into the 911. Maybe a Corvair manual box
>was too difficult to hook up, so the automatic sounds like a reasonable
>alternative.

The shifter is the issue...  perhaps the guy simply didn't have a
shifter.    Or, he had the whole PG driveline on hand so that's what
went in the car.

Who knows...?   Either way, I suppose I may find out one way or
another IF I can get caught up on the other things I need to get done
first.    The Porsche can continue to sit where it is for now, been
there a while...  and it doesn't eat anything.    Hope I can get it
done this summer...

tony..