<VV> New Steering wheel adapter for 65-66 Corvair - Advert.

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Fri Apr 20 02:29:01 EDT 2007

Silicone Wire Systems continues to seek out new products for the Corvair
enthusiast. At the Performance Workshop in Dayton, I showed a brand new
Corvair-only item.  It isn’t just a performance part, but could easily be used on your
performance  Corvair or your street driven Corvair.
For many years now, the only hub adapter available for  the mid-year C
orvairs, the 1964-66 models (without the factory telescoping  column option), was the
Grant built and Clark’s  sold 3-bolt wheel adapter. The 64-66 models use a
special Corvair-only small  spline for the steering shaft. This multi-part
adapter assembly is a remake of  the original Grant/Superior Industries adapter
from the 1960’s. Clark’s is to be  congratulated for maintaining the adapter in
production for years after Grant  had intended to discontinue it, and I
believe Grant makes fine products. The  quick-removal wheel kit that I supply for
racers is a Grant product. But there  are a few drawbacks to the older adapter.
Out of the box, it only fits the older  style Grant wheels, including their “
Nostalgia” series wheels. In order to make  it usable with the more modern 5 or
6 bolt wheels, even Grant’s, extra adapters  must be purchased and aligned to
adapt the newer models.  It is also very short, which requires  either longer
arms for the driver or adapter spacers (preferred).
Last year I began talking with another accessory manufacturer in  Michigan.
(This is one of the reasons I attend the SEMA and PRI shows each year).  I
explained what I was seeking, a more  modern adapter for the very popular 65-66
Corvairs (and maybe the 64 as well, I  am checking on this). It took a year of
working together on this part but it is  now available. I showed the prototype
at Dayton, but the first production units are now  in hand. The polished
Aluminum adapter is two and a half inches tall,  eliminating the need for spacers
or adapters, has the correct five-bolt pattern  that allows the Grant
Signature series wheel to bolt directly on, has a  hub-centric mounting that assures a
tight fit, and comes complete with a black  horn button and wiring feed, and
even includes a new plastic turn signal  cancelling cam. The cam replaces the
stock part which is no longer available  new. This is a gorgeous piece of
work, all made in the USA. The adapter  allows you to choose from lots of
different wheels, and makes the installation a  breeze. The price for the adapter,
including the cancelling cam and black horn  button is $87. Shipping is an
additional $8 within the United States  (US Priority Mail). I have nine in stock as
of 4-19-07. Other horn buttons are  available.
If you already have a Grant Signature Series wheel, this is all you would
need. If you have a six-bolt wheel, such as a MOMO or a Personal, I hope to have
 the adapter available soon to fit these wheels. I also intend to supply the
adapter to allow the installation of the GM wood wheel as well. If you want
to  check out the selection of wheels, look at the Grant web site at
_www.grantproducts.com_ (http://www.grantproducts.com/)   For  pricing, you can always
check _www.summitracing.com_ (http://www.summitracing.com/)  or  your local
speed shop. I also sell the Grant wheels so check with me before you  buy. If you
want a picture of the adapter, just drop me a note, and I will send  it
along. I will have these adapters at the Sacramento Corvair event in May.
Otherwise drop me a note at _sethracer at aol.com_ (mailto:sethracer at aol.com)  or
Silicone Wire Systems, 3462  Kirkwood Dr. San Jose,  CA  95117-1549