<VV> Re: Carb adjustments tip

Grant Young gyoungwolf at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 21 10:29:47 EDT 2007

Just a tip on a note about adjusting carbs from a recent post below. While the shop manual and other sources state that mixture needles are to be 1.5 turns out from seated, you can pretty much ignore that if a carb is worn or has ever been rebuilt. Here's the problems: There are at least 4 different style mixture needles with different lengths and tapers (if the style of the heads are the same, however, they are almost always matched), and there are who knows how many different types and lengths of springs. It is also very easy to enlarge the hole (needle tip seat) in the bowl with gorilla tactics or excessive corrosive cleaning. These things must be considered. 1.5 turns out on a short needle might give you the same opening as 3 turns on a long needle, for example. So if you are rebuilding a pair of carbs and don't have any way to check flow, simply eyeball the clearance between the tip and the hole and that should get you very close to a mechanical setting that is matched. Then when balancing the carbs, simply turn each needle about the same amount each time, as required. Hope this helps.

<<The main problem was the air mixture screw.  I started at 1.5 turns.  Idled evidently only on one side, other side didn't get warm.  I never attempted more than 2.5 turns out
on the right carb - just didn't make sense to me.  Well, from now, I'll screw it all the way out if I have to.  3.5 turns, and I'm good.>>