<VV> Advice needed: mods for best fuel mileage

Tom Willcox bakwudz at rcn.com
Sat Apr 21 23:05:26 EDT 2007

Hi everyone!

With the current state of affairs regarding fuel prices, I have decided to
put my 65 Monza sedan back on the road in an effort to cut daily driving
expenses (well, I also miss driving a Corvair! <g>).  My regular ride is a
87 Chevy G20 van 305/auto (anybody want to trade me a Greenbriar? :) that I
use for my handyman business.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has any advice regarding low-buck mods to
the car to save fuel--I am not concerned with power loss, just want to make
the car as economical as possible for a "daily driver", and also keeping in
mind long term durability .

Subject car currently has a fairly healthy 65 110 engine rebuilt ~ 10k ago
w/ forged pistons (pretty much stock rebuild otherwise), mated to a 66 4
speed trans and 66 3.55 differential.  No A/C.  Otherwise, everything is
stock except for a Pertronix ignition, Clark's dual 140 style 110 exhaust
and Seth's wires.  Car also has a S-10 front air dam.  Tires are 185/80R-13.

I have a set of 95 heads to put on the car, if that would help--I am
considering this more or less to be able to run regular fuel, since that is
also a goal of mine.  If a diff/trans swap is reccommended, I would be
willing to swap in just about anything I could trade for (preferably keeping
it a 4 speed).

Any ideas?  Advice is mucho appreciated!

Tom Willcox
Allentown, PA