<VV> Carb gas leak - serious!

rbkj84 at comcast.net rbkj84 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 22 22:22:22 EDT 2007

Need help with a significant gas leak!!
An interesting problem popped up in my 1965 Corsa this afternoon.  With engine on, gas was running out of the right side primary carburetor somewhere down low and toward the front of the car.  FIrst indication was that car stalled.  I have had an intermittent problem with that side of the engine -- the car will be running great and then it starts to lug and sounds as if it is running on the left side only (drivers).  RPM's drop very low.  When this happens, there is white gray smoke out the passenger side tail pipe.  Normally it goes away in a few seconds.
I think that the smoke is unburned gas.  It is not a dropped valve seat.  No noise.  I am guessing that it is a sticky float that is hanging up.  I am prepared to swap out the float, float pivot axle, and float spring.  Does this sound like it makes sense or is there something else that I should be looking for?  Would a stuck float account for gas pouring out somewhere near the bottom front of the passenger side primary carb?  The gas leak is NOT at the fuel inlet or from the main large gasket that is between the top and bottom sections of the carb.

Appreciate your help.

By the way, I was able to limp home by coasting down hill with engine off most of the way!!

Thanks,
Ron
65 Corsa
64 Spyder