<VV> MPG thoughts

David Fasgold dfasgold at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 22 22:47:31 EDT 2007

    Just a few thoughts...
    Reading the latest discussion on MPG, reminds me how I used to obsess over the subject. I used to drive myself crazy checking my fuel economy and wondering how I could improve it (i.e. Should I change gears, transmission, or ditch the carbs with power enrichment?). Of course, at that time I only owned Corvairs, so I thought about it a lot.
    Now that I've gotten a little older, lazier and more pinched for spare time, I tend to not worry so much about this stuff. When I start thinking about taking on major projects in order to gain MPG, I think about the cost and hassle involved, and remind myself that even at only 19-22 MPG, my Corvair is much more affordable than my Accord.  If a small difference in MPG is going to break me, then I'm already broke...in which case I should get rid of the Corvair. :-)
    Right now I'm fixing up a 63 convertible, which pretty much needed everything. In this case, I picked out an economical stock set up (4spd/3.27/102hp). But if it was already a running car, I probably would have left it alone, regadless of the engine/tranny/gear combination.
    David Fasgold (aka Mr. Lazy)