<VV> GM cars - a different view

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Thu Apr 26 02:13:56 EDT 2007

In a message dated 4/25/2007 10:43:29 PM Pacific Daylight Time,  ronh at owt.com
writes:

Yes, GM  can build good cars but it's more by chance than by plan.  I got
that  info from an insider.
RonH

If I may, I will stand up for GM cars. I currently own nothing but GM
cars/truck. A Corvair, 2 Camaros, an Olds Intrigue, a Chevy Avalanche and a C6
Vette. I have had minor problems with each car. One Camaro is a race car, so GM
is not a factor, except for making the cars popular enough for lots of parts
availability! The other street Camaro, a 1996, has about 118K miles, a plug
wire  or two under warrantee (ironic, eh?) one clogged injector at about 80K, a
Clutch at mid- 90s. This car was autocrossed in "Stock" classes for most of
it's  life, has sat outside every night of it's life, and still looks and  runs
like almost new. The Olds has about 90K miles, no warrantee  issues at all,
needed a starter at about 85K. Hauls butt, handles okay, and is a  wife pleaser
(It's her car). The 2002 Avalanche has 38K miles, has towed to  Kansas and
back, and took us to the 2002 Convention in Flagstaff. Everything  works
perfectly, both fog lights replaced under warrantee (water leaked in). The  most
versatile vehicle I own. The Corvette - Great all-around Sports car. Left  front
turn signal/light assembly replaced twice under warrantee. Still a  questionable
trans (6-speed) for shifting into first at a stop. Radio was  upgraded via
firmware load, now handles MP3 files. 20K miles - I'm still  generally happy
with it. I've had vehicles from almost every division of GM,  except GMC and
Cadillac, and the 2008 CTS is looking good, but my wife has  driven the Saturn
Aura already. Are GM cars perfect? Hardly, but in the 60's and  at least since
the mid-90's I think GM has, at least, been better than Ford or  "Chrysler". As
to Honda or Toyota. They build cars well. For many people they  are the right
choice. I am not in the market for an appliance to drive -  but many people
are. - Seth Emerson