<VV> Re: GM cars - a different view

Ron ronh at owt.com
Thu Apr 26 19:14:48 EDT 2007

The friend I talked to was a young metallurgical engineer at the main GM foundry and it was his responsibility to get each melt ready for pouring.  The trouble was (is) that there was never enough time and when Production called for a pour, they would pour, ready or not.  He said that very few pours have a metal content that meets GM specs and that's the simple reason why some identical engines will last twice as long as others.  If the blocks will mold and the broaches don't break, the run is good.  If they won't broach, the entire melt is scrapped.  The scrappage can run as high as 50%.  In other words, you might get a pot metal engine, it's just a matter of chance  This young metallurgist got very discouraged, quit GM and went into nuclear work.

RonH