<VV> Learning curve/clutch

Kerry and jan B deaconone at teleweb.net
Sat Apr 28 18:32:22 EDT 2007

Hi,

A couple of questions. Considering replacing my clutch. Whether the
slippage is caused by wear or by oil is yet to be determined. I do have
an oil leak from somewhere back there. There is oil coming out of the
little hole at the bottom of the bell housing.  Can't really tell if
it's engine or gear case oil though. In any case it probably shouldn't
be there. Clutch pedal travel seems the same as last year.

A couple of issues I need to clear up. The car is a 63 ((standard)
turbo)) that sure looks like a 64. Is there anyway to tell if the power
train is 63 or 64?  Apparently there is a difference between the 63 and
64 since Clarks has gasket kits for each year?? I would like to preorder
parts but I think thats' going to be impossible if I can't figure out
before hand what I actually have. It seems there are also differences in
the clutch/pressure plate/flywheel and throwout bearing between the
normally aspirated engine and turbo??

It would be nice to have the necessary parts on hand but that may not be
possible?

Next, is there a good book/manual  regarding engine removal, leaving
transaxel in the car? Clarks has one that says it's for power train
removal. Is that a good one or is there a better one? Maybe something
that has step by step instructions?

Kerry B.

63/64 Spyder Turbo convertible