<VV> Test and Tune

levair at aol.com levair at aol.com
Sat Apr 28 18:26:25 EDT 2007

Just got home from Grisson Air Force Base(Peru Indiana)  where they had a test and tune on a mostly asphalt section.
It was a beautiful 70 deg day. Had about a dozen runs.
The idea behind a test and tune on asphalt is to prepare for the Solo II Nationals which are held in cold and rainy weather on a too small, sandy, slippery, asphalt lot.
   This prepartation doesn't appeal to be at all because the great expense of going to the Nationals in the above conditions is not worth it for the .00000001% chance of getting a trophy. I'd just rather run somewhere where  the conditions are good and it is FUN.
   Today it was FUN!
   The couse was mostly extreme transitions, with two partial parts of a sweeper. I enjoyed it because it had a little of everything.
   I took the Yenko Stinger Corvair because I had taken out the hi comp NA engine and installed a turbo which hadn't worked well yet. The turbo is an E flow Rajay with a .2 A/R Ex housing.
   The new change was removing the 670 cfm Q Jet carb and replacing it with a 600 cfm progressive Holley. I did it for the big accel. pump shot(50cc)  of the Holley. I had concluded that the QJet pump shot was not good enough to go through all of the draw- through turbo plumbing and was contributing to what was felt as lag. My vintage Roe car accomplishes this by putting all of the pump shot of the Progressive Weber through the primary side.
   This was also a chance to get the boost regulated to 15 psi--hard to test a full race car on the street.

       For once ,the test was a success. The perceived lag was much better and the car was a thrill to drive. I just love tossing it and using power-on oversteer. .
By comparing with other cars that I regularly run against, the Stinger is at least 2 sec slower that the EMod roadster. I'd still rather race the Stinger---why is that? Is it the sentimental attachment or the ability (necessity) of tossing around this huge underpowered car?.
    Now the Bad news . Jim Mackamey was there helping to dial in Scott Lewis's CP tube frame Camaro(?);
this nationally competitive car is around 3 sec faster than me on a 65 sec course. Darn.
  If 15 psi is around 250 + hp, this 1850 pound, 2700cc ,SCCA legal, sorted,car is obsviously still not enough for CP .
Back to the unreasonable sentimental attachment--. Sigh.   I did improve 4 sec thru the day--good testing.

But a great day, enjoyed the relaxed , social atmosphere,

Warren