<VV> LM Convertible top problem

Rudy Korb rudyandbrenda at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 29 18:48:03 EDT 2007

Well guys, I hope you can help me out.  I've gone thru all my Corvair literature but can't find anything dealing with tops.  Here's my problem:

  Lately, when I've put the top up, it seemed to get slower and slower.  Well today, it refuses to go up. It tries to go, but only gets up a couple inches. It acts like something is binding in the right side. I've lubed all the moveable joints with WD-40, but that didn't help.  I have removed the rear seat and unscrewed the cloth cover over the motor and disconnected the 2 flexible cables.  Tried the motor and it seems to work fine.  So here I am ready for your expert advice on what I should do next.  I've thought about taking the flex cables out to clean and grease them, but not sure if that is necessary. Oh the joy of working with 40 year old material.

  Well guys, what are your suggestions.  Is there some way to put the top up manually???
  It would make getting to things a lot easier.

  Rudy Korb
  Rogers, Arkansas
  67 Monza Vert