<VV> Note about the 1960 fan

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Wed Aug 1 12:39:50 EDT 2007

At 08:24 PM 7/31/2007, Chris & Bill Strickland wrote:
>It would be interesting to know if the data for the 1960 fan was
>with the "ring" in place or not -- seems like that thermostatic ring
>certainly inhibits air flow, even when it is fully "open".

Sure does, although the ring itself is such a sloppy fit inside the
fan recess I doubt it had very much detrimental effect on
cooling.   My observation was how little actual fan blade area the
fan actually had, compared to the 2nd gen fans... yet someone did
some tests somewhere which stated that the '60 fan was the best of
the bunch.  ??

Sorry, I still find it hard to believe, and I've twice cured some
overheating issues on '60 and '61 'Vairs simply by replacing the
recessed fan with a later variant.   I'm currently looking long and
hard at the red Lakewood and its original fan (also original
everything else) and I expect to end up swapping that one out as well
since I know what to expect out of it in summer when I start taking
those long uphill grades in August.

tony..