<VV> Brake Lights Problem

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 1 12:34:49 EDT 2007

                                        B"H

Interestingly, I did some extensive troubleshooting on
the problem with my brake lights, where sometimes they
work, sometimes they don't.  Funny thing, the right
brake and stop light always works, it's just the left
side that's intermittent.  It didn't occur to me that
the turn signal could be at fault as I didn't
understand the relationship between the turn signal
switch and the brake lights, and still am not 100%
sure how the whole thing goes together.

However, I took a good, long, hard look at the factory
wiring schematic included in the 1969 Shop Manual.  I
noticed that both left and right rear brake/turn
signal bulb wires end up at the turn signal connector.
 OK, so I checked continuity from the bulb wires to
each connector on the turn signal plug.  Full
continuity for both 10-Y and 10-DG.  So, then I
figured it MUST be the turn signal switch.  So, as I
was thinking about this, I had my foot on the brake
pedal, and started fiddling with the turn signal
lever, and lo and behold, when I moved the lever up
for a right turn, the brake lights on the LEFT side
came on.  When I moved the lever for a left turn, they
went OFF.

So, I therefore conclude that the turn signal switch
isn't making the correct contact for both 10-Y and
10-DG circuits to illuminate when the brake pedal
switch is actuated.

When I first got the Monza, the turn signal switch
wouldn't lock into place, which was because the ears
on the cam were broken (cheap plastic!).  So, by
replacing the cam, the switch locked into position but
not all signals worked in the "lane change" feature,
although they worked when the lever was locked.  As
most Corvair folks know, cancelling (unlocking) the
lever by hand breaks the plastic ears in short order,
it wasn't designed for that operation.

Yes I know that the Delco switch is better, but I
didn't want to spend the time and I dont' know if I
have the skill to modify the column for the Delco
unit.  YOu need to drill the holes exactly and tap it
and get those fine-thread screws; it's easier just to
screw in a new cam for the Boyne.

If I can get all the signals and brake lights to work
with the Boyne switch when using the "lane change"
feature I think I'll be okay; if not, then I may just
end up taking the plunge and getting the Delco switch
and doing the mods to make it work.

Thanks people for listening to my ramblings...Bill H.
69 Monza 110 PG