<VV> Re: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 31, Issue 7

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Thu Aug 2 23:21:48 EDT 2007

At 10:24 AM 8/2/2007, ssmyers at adelphia.net wrote:

>Since all the heat is at the bottom ( exhaust side of head) is it
>nuts to consider running the air the other direction ? From bottom
>to top, and out ? So the cool air hits the bottom first? Not to
>cmplicate everything

Why not run headers, with individual runners angling out the sides,
thus eliminating that hot exhaust manifold which would otherwise be
radiating several thousand watts worth of heat back onto the bottom
of the engine...?   Spit it out the exhaust and not worry about
it.   A lot of heat would be eliminated this way, simply by keeping
it from radiating back onto the bottom of the engine.   Exhaust
headers have long since proven to aid engine cooling in almost any
engine simply by helping to get rid of hot exhaust gasses quicker and
via a pathway which doesn't involve heat radiation back into the engine.

I've been well aware of how much raw heat sits there in those iron
exhaust manifolds... eliminating them goes quite a way toward helping
the engine remain cooler, especially on "cookdown" when a hot engine
is shut off and sits there tinking and clinking, soaking heat off the
iron manifolds into the heads and boiling the gas out of the carbs etc.

tony..