<VV> Re: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 31, Issue 7

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 3 01:49:11 EDT 2007

Tony,
I wondered about the logs heating the heads too.  In particular, I wondered
if that was the reason the left side thermistor reads higher (under the
log).  So, I insulated the area between the logs and the heads with multiple
layers of aluminum foil to block any radiation.  I was shocked to find that
I couldn't see any difference in the thermistor reading (actually, a
thermocouple mounted on a bolt in that position).

I still think the logs should heat the heads, since they're probably running
somewhere above 1000F at highway speeds, but I don't know how to explain
away my experimental results.

I haven't run any heat transfer calculations (hated that class).  Maybe the
air blast cools the top surface of the logs enough that the amount of heat
radiated is swamped by the heat coming from the combustion chambers and
exhaust ports in the head.  Curious.

Roger