<VV> RE: Cooling fan improvement

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Sat Aug 4 10:56:36 EDT 2007

I've converted about 20 cars (one Corvair) to EFI. I have a second Corvair
140 converted to EFI by Milt Binion.  Generally there has been about a 50%
gain in fuel economy (my '66, for example, gets almost 30 mpg on the
highway).  Several of my conversions, mostly Tri-five Chevys, went from
overheating pigs to cool runners with the change to EFI.  On the cars that
had aluminum radiators, overcooling has been an issue and on two, I've had
to cover a portion of the radiator with lexan to block airflow.  My '65 and
'66 EFI 140s run about 275 to 325 max in hot weather highway conditions.
I'm open to other conclusions, but comparing apples to apples, I've
concluded that reducing wasted fuel results in reduced heat in the cooling
system.  I understand that this subject is controversial; prior to my '66
Corvair 140 EFI conversion, I had several people tell me that "running it
lean" would cause it to overheat, but the opposite seems to be the case.
Thoughts, comments?

Craig Nicol

  _____