<VV> Re: Cooling fan improvement

JVHRoberts at aol.com JVHRoberts at aol.com
Sat Aug 4 11:23:00 EDT 2007

Of course, an optimally tuned engine will run the coolest. If you're also
managing ignition timing, then you can do even better. Is ignition also under
computer control? Is there a knock sensor? I'd be willing to bet this is
probably the bigger determinant here.

Lean vs rich is always controversial, but generally speaking, you need to  be
running quite a bit leaner than ideal to overheat. On target is best,  and if
you're overly rich, you'll also overheat because efficiency drops, more
throttle is required, and that leads to more heat AND more fuel consumption. But
this also assumes the A/F ratio is way out of whack. Not hard to be off with
carbs, to be sure...

In a message dated 8/4/2007 10:56:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time, NicolCS