<VV> Eelco Aluminum Exhaust Manifold

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 4 17:24:45 EDT 2007

Hi Crawford,

Aluminum becomes a liquid at 1220F.  I don't know the temp of our exhaust
and I'm sure it varies to some degree from car to car and HP levels as well.
I suspect we are talking something above 600F - maybe in the 600 to 700+
range.  While the aluminum may not become liquid at that point, it certainly
will soften to at least some extent.  Over time and repeated use it is
likely that aluminum exhaust manifolds will begin to show some sag and
potentially loose at least a portion of the sealing capacity at the head.

Now, you mentioned head temps earlier in comparison to exhaust valve temps.
I simply want to ask, have you never had an engine apart where the head
gaskets have left an impression in the head?  I've seen more that one
(probably overheated head) where an obvious lip has been left in the head
and it is very obvious upon removal of the gasket.  Now, the head did not
melt down to molten - but it also did not completely retain it's original
shape.  Would something similar happen with Aluminum logs?

I can see their use in specific applications - like short races.  I really
doubt they would hold up in the long run on everyday driven vehicles -
especially where the car is driven long distances with only fill up stops,
like on the way to a convention.

Now, Smitty is going to tell me to "prove it", but I don't want to.  <GRIN>
I admit right now that these comments are speculative in nature, but based
on past observations.

Later, JR

CCE and CORSA member
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140
'66 beater 500 Coupe "icemobile" 4/140 (50%)