<VV> Cooling the Corvair Engine

James Davis jld at wk.net
Sat Aug 4 17:38:50 EDT 2007

Case in point.  UV #388 with stock 140 exhaust system and de-flashed
heads - could not use full throttle for more than five minutes on a
90 F degree day (cylinder head temps 480+ F).  Removed the air doors,
kept the lower shrouds, and reversed the cast iron exhaust - 400-450
F degree cylinder head temps on 90 degree day @ 3,600 rpm full
throttle (60 mph) for 30 minutes.  Replaced the cast iron manifolds
and replaced with Clark's headers (lower shrouds in place) - 300-360
F cylinder head temperatures on 90 degree day @ 3,600 rpm for 30
minutes  Replaced the 65 fan and top shroud with a 61 radial blade
(24 blade) steel fan and matching shroud - 280-320 F cylinder head
temps on 90 degree day @ 3,600 rpm full throttle for 30
minutes  .  Cylinder head temperatures measured with VDO instruments
with thermocouples on both heads in thermosister location. Same
engine, differential and transmission for 79,000 miles.
Jim Davis