<VV> 3.6L Initial Autopsy

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 4 18:09:06 EDT 2007

Hmm....  When you wiggle the rod at the crank end, is it supposed to go "Clink, clink"?  ;-)  :-(

Number 1 rod bearing is gone.  Not damaged, gone.  I found a 3/8" X 3/4" piece of thin mangled metal that I think used to be part of the rod bearing.  I haven't pulled the rod cap off yet - the bolts go in from the piston end so I have to pull the head and remove the piston to get to the bolts.  But, the rod end moves about twice the thickness of a rod bearing, so I don't think there's much left in there.

Seems isolated to there, the other rods feel tight.  Hopefully, I'll be able to resize the rod end and turn the crank rather than having to re-make either of them (both are unique to this engine).

  Roger

PS:  Could be worse.  I was afraid the rod cap had come loose.  That would have made me blame myself for blowing the bolt torque.  Would like to have a cause, though.