<VV> Disappointing news

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 5 11:38:55 EDT 2007

	This Friday at 4:00 p.m., I became the victim of a very depressing
setback in my attempts to get my '65 Monza hardtop back on the road.

	As I was driving home and about 1/2 mile from my house, an idiot in
a hurry attempted to drive across three lanes of traffic assuming
that everyone would stop for him.  As I was in the middle lane and we
were obscured from each other by SUV's on my left in the left lane, I
did not have time to brake sufficiently as he cut in front of me and
my right front fender connected with his right rear fender.  He was
clearly at fault according to the officer who investigated.  I got
just about every bit of information on the jerk that I could at the
scene.  I got all of his insurance info at the accident site, but
when I returned home and called his agency, they said that he had
cancelled his policy.  When I called the police to report that he had
given me false information on the insurance, the officer said, "Yeah,
that same thing happened to me.  You should have called his insurance
company at the scene." !!!  I have him documented as to his address,
policy numbers, dob, license number, even the vin on his truck so he
won't be able to escape into the woodwork should he refuse to remedy
the situation to my satisfaction.
	The really frustrating thing was that I was going to take the car
for its "coming out" viewing at our club meeting on Saturday as only
a few club members have ever even seen the car.  I went ahead an took
it to the meeting as it is drivable and the hood still latches and
unlatches!  It looks like it will need to have a new bumper, hood,
and front quarter panel among other sundries.  I figure it'll take
another three to four months before it is back to "normal".  I've
already gotten leads as to obtaining the fender and hood from cars
that the club members have.  I'm going to play around with having the
entire car repainted while I'm at it.  It currently is a copper color
and I'll decide later whether to keep it that color or restore it to
its original Sierra Tan (suggestions appreciated).
	I'll email pics to those interested.

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
Corvaireum //

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza Hardtop 110

back to group red

P.S.  I solved one of the possible gas milage issues;  brake pads
rubbing the drum - which I think that I've solved.