<VV> lifter tap

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Sun Aug 5 20:16:30 EDT 2007

On the way to the convention my car picked up a lifter tap.  It seemed to run fine so we kept going.  While at the convention, I had a couple of experts listen and they concurred it was lifter noise (not a valve seat).   They suggested adding some Marvel Mystery Oil and driving for a while and they felt it would go away on its own.  Well it didn't.  It did drive just fine going up and down mountain roads in Pennsylvania on the way home.  I adjusted the valves today and the noise is still there.  It's quieter at idle and get noisier with revs.  Although, at 70 on the freeway you could barely hear it.   So, how do I go about figuring which lifter is noisy and what do I have to do to replace it?  It's on the muffler side (it's a 110) so it's a pain to run it while checking.  Although I could get a flexible muffler tube I guess.  Do I need to remove the oil pan?

Or should I just let it tap away until it gets worse or goes away?

mikeH
Tidewater VA