<VV> Re: Cooling fans

ScottyGrover at aol.com ScottyGrover at aol.com
Mon Aug 6 00:18:29 EDT 2007

In a message dated 8/5/2007 8:10:20 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
mfrancis at wi.rr.com writes:

Hi  Scotty,
If you’re really going to get into  this, I think you’re bound to find out
that an aluminum pattern has to be made  larger than the intended final size,
to account for shrinkage. So using an  original steel fan would yield a part
that was smaller than original  dimensions. I think the pattern has to be 1.2
times the intended final  size.
I work in aircraft and automotive  composites and have been reading the fan
discussion over the last week. It  occurred to me that making a mold of the
original ’61 fan, top and bottom,  then duplicating the vanes in flat stock,
would allow for a detailed, but  exact duplicate of the original fan assembly that
would be much lighter,  especially if the laminate used was carbon fiber with
a high-temp resin. A  carbon fiber assembly could be as little as ¼ of the
present steel  weight.
So, as you examine your options  tomorrow, consider this as an alternate way
of getting the fan we need for  modern Corvair performance cooling. With
composites, we can run as many vanes  as needed, at any angle desired, even curved
vanes! A fixture can be used to  mill slots in the upper and lower shells that
the vanes key into, and a  high-temp adhesive used to do the final assembly
of all the  parts.
Just something to think  about…….
Regards, Mel  Francis
Oconomowoc,  WI

You may very well have a better idea than I do; I was thinking of what I
could do myself without hiring it out, but if anyone has a better idea and can
use different techniques, more power to you.

Scotty from Hollyweird