<VV> cooling fan results - Tony

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Aug 6 18:47:37 EDT 2007

At 11:43 AM 8/4/2007, BobHelt at aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 8/3/2007 8:09:44 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
>tonyu at roava.net writes:
>
>In any  event, even though the mag fan is inefficient, it still works
>better than  the '60 cooling fan.   I'm not at all surprised that GM
>dumped  that first-gen fan pretty quickly.
>

>Tony,
>I know that it's a lot to ask, but how would a 1962-63 fan work? If you  have
>one, it would be interesting to give it a try too.

I've actually wondered a bit about how the 16 blade fan would work
compared to the 11 blade mag fan on the '60 during the Bandy Rd
hillclimb in 98 degree summer heat...

I need to figure a way to shim the bearing housing (the car has a
late top cover/bearing on it) and ream out the center hole in a 16
blade fan and give it a try... the '60 is a PG and it shifts gently
if my foot isn't in it, shouldn't be an issue keeping fan belts on it
with the belt guards in place as long as I don't jerk/break them.

Of course what I *really* need to do is get a good temp gauge so I
don't have to judge cooling by how easy the engine starts a minute
after shutting down following the climb.

tony..