<VV> Need garage ideas (no Corvair)

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 6 18:54:26 EDT 2007

John -- 24' x 24' sounds pretty good, especially if one does not have a
garage, but since you are building it, and you want the shop of your
dreams, if your codes and budget allow, I'd seriously suggest that
bigger is better -- 32' x 32' would be great!

We built a 28' x 28' a few years ago, thinking sort of like you, and
after you get two cars, a lawn tractor, and some benches in it, and
maybe a chest freezer (full of elk),  a large roll-a-way, a table saw
and drill press, and the pressure tank for the well, all of a sudden
there was barely room to walk through the place, and certainly no room
to work on a car, unless the car was outside.

So we built a 36' x 48' barn, half for hay and other storage and half
enclosed shop -- the work space is over in the storage area now, cause
the shop is full (after Dad died, I got most all his woodworking stuff
and had to put it somewhere amongst the Rampy, the Corvan, and the
356).  The old garage made a nice little "mother-in-law apartment",
after some finish work was done.

24' x 24' is a nice size for a very cozy little one car shop.  Build a
breezeway, con your wife into thinking it is stylish to park her rig in
the breeze way, and don't EVER call it a carport! You need a space the
size of a car to do your work in.  Maybe if you've successfully lived on
a boat or a motor home for an extended period, then maybe *you* could
make it work  Not me -- my spare parts take up that much room (I've
learned).  :-)

Bigger.

Bill S