<VV> Re: quest for fans and info..

ScottyGrover at aol.com ScottyGrover at aol.com
Mon Aug 6 19:16:16 EDT 2007

In a message dated 8/6/2007 6:34:32 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
s10birdman1966 at yahoo.com writes:

hi,Scotty...I posed a couple ideas a while back to a few people,mabe  you can
tell me why they 'won't work'...one is using 'sqirrel-cage' units  driven off
the crank,on shafts parrallell with it;transit buses use these on  heat/a/c
systems,a 24v electric motor between 2 fans,each has a 4"x5" or so
discharge,and one 'unit' fits nicely on each Corvair head,like above the
sparkplugs...they throw these out when the 24v motor goes bad,so i grabbed  several...other
idea is putting 2 magnesium fans back-to-back,housing them in  a 'tombstone'
above the center of the engine,on a common shaft parallel and  driven off the
crank...either could be driven by electrics,i guess,at a fixed  optimum
speed...still have a problem with the "14hp" figure,as the big A/C  compresser uses
25hp from a series-50 Detroit 4-cyl bus engine,and people  saying a fan needs
'x' electrcity--instead of the motor driving it...i took  pics of the ideas,if i
can find them...Tom  Z,Rustchester,NY

I haven't seen one of these and I can't or don't visualise them clearly so  I
can't tell you why they can't or don't work.  Looks like I'll have to  find a
transit bus broken down on the street (in L.A. that's not  uncommon--(sigh.))
 That or hang out at one of the bus garages (another  sigh.)
When I do, I'll get back to you with my thoughts on this.

Scotty from Hollyweird