<VV> Re: fan design

ScottyGrover at aol.com ScottyGrover at aol.com
Mon Aug 6 19:38:06 EDT 2007

In a message dated 8/6/2007 4:16:32 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
vair65 at mail.sisna.com writes:

scotty-look at www.pbase.com/917carl/917_12_cyl_engine&page=1. 917  engines
put out around 17/1800 hp and lasted for 24 hour races. when you see  the
picture of the fan notice the height, pitch of the blades and number of  blades. in
my mind the lm fan is like a ceiling fan as it will move air but  doesn't
develop any pressure. it's like the blades should have a 90 degree  angle on the
top so that the air that is capatured has to go out over the  heads. this
might take more hp to run than stock but if it does a better job  you can play
with ratios to take care of that. slippage is a known fact and  with the belt
design will always be there. when you look at the pitch on the  porsche fan think
airplane props. same idea. look at www.cosplaysupplies.com  and in the other
section look for wonderflex. great stuff to make a quick and  dirty model of
your idea. depending on the thickness you get several can be  bonded together
to give you strength. i don't know if i would trust fiberglass  enough because
of the complexity of the design and it will always be trying to  fly apart.
i'm like eric as i have plenty of hp (turboed, fuel injected, air  to water
intercooled 140) but i like different ideas. you should have heard  all the
comments when i built it in the late 80's. good thing there wasn't a  internet. good
luck and if i can help let me know-mike mann

You should have heard the comments I got since about 1975 when I announced
to friends and Corvair suppliers that I was going to design my own electronic
fuel injection (I had run my rig for a while with a scavenged unit from a VW
squareback.) (It worked well until I got careless with a fuel line-----never
again!!!!!)
I just thought I could make a unit better than the  transistor-and-diode-only
Bosch unit.  Well, time passes and it's just this  year that I bought the
necessary electronic parts (I already had sensors, etc.,  mostly from Datsun
280Z) and put the thing together on a breadboard.  It  works the way I wanted it
to it simulating a working engine (as best I can fake  it out) but the sheer
quantity of integrated circuits makes me think twice;  --now it looks like I'll
have to learn to program a microcontroller to minimise  the amount of
hardware.

Well, I guess that's all for now; I've got a 16-vane fan to measure and see
how it can be reproduced in aluminium or magnesium--the only real defect of
the  Corvair original is the weight.

Scotty from Hollyweird