<VV> Re: Garage Ideas - Futures

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 7 13:58:53 EDT 2007

Since it is a lot easier to put stuff under concrete floors before you
pour them it may be worth it to note that, perhaps depending upon where
you live and your code requirements, some leeway is often given for
planning for future expansion, expansion of things like the electrical
and plumbing systems and footings for an overhead hoist -- check with
your inspector and see if now is a good time to lay that conduit and the
supply and drain pipes (hand wash sink, dishwasher for parts cleaning,
shower, etc) even though it only goes to the edge of the slab.  And,
while you are doing that slab, since there will probably be at least a
little left over concrete, pour those outside pads for the air
compressor and the heat pump -- okay, you may never use them, but you'll
find them useful for something else, say a tire machine outside, out of
the way ... someday.

Painted floors really look cool, and if you are very careful about what
you do, they hold up fairly well. I've worked in a commercial shop with
them, and the only thing I can say is the cheap (relatively) floor paint
actually held up better than the expensive epoxy stuff did.  My
preference is for a very good smooth finish job on the concrete followed
by a sealer while still wet -- this is how many concrete finishers do it
these days anyhow.  Makes for a dust free painted like floor, without
the upkeep of the paint.  Nice smooth floors can be slick (keep them
clean!), but they are also easier to keep clean and stuff like floor
jacks and rollaway roll around on them a lot better. Vinyl tiles might
also be worth consideration.

Several guys have mentioned 100 amp service panels -- why not 200?
Well, the supply to that panel can get expensive with today's prices for
copper and how far you have to run it, but remember, like horsepower,
more is better!  Just a matter of how fast can you afford to go ...

Godspeed!

Bill S